Pystyottelu - yleinen keskustelu

Turnauksen varaotteluna nähdään Danyo Ilunga vs. ANDREI STOICKA! News - Stoica debuts vs Ilunga at GLORY 15

Nyt mitataan Romanian Mr. KO:n todellinen taso. Toivottavasti hän on kuitenkin parantanut englantiaan sen verran ettei tällä kertaa nimitä vastustajaansa vahingossa neekeriksi niin kuin Redouan Cairoa aikoinaan.

Glory 14:n kortille on tullut Arthur Kyshenko, joka kohtaa Karapet Karapetyanin. Toinen mielenkiintoinen ottelu on Ristie vs. Kirya 70-kiloisten tittelistä. (Kirya on paljon parempi vastus kuin aiemmin otteluun kaavailtu Ky Hollenbeck.) En oikein tiedä mitä pitäisi ajatella tästä että Glory ottaa turnausten lisäksi tittelimatsit käyttöön. 4 miehen turnaukset ovat toimineet hyvin vaikka olin aiemmin skeptinen niitä kohtaan. Mutta tästä tulee kyllä sekasotku, kun on erikseen vuoden "tournament champion" ja sitten se "world champion". Ken elää se näkee.

Viimeksi muokannut ylläpidon jäsen:
10% ALENNUS KOODILLA PAKKOTOISTO
News - One Belt, One Champion

Gloryn tiedote uudesta mestaruussysteemistä. Ei tuo kai ihan susi ole, mutta vähän sekavalta tuntuu että mestariksi voi päästä joko turnausvoitolla tai 5-eräisellä tittelimatsilla. Haastajaturnauksen logiikkakin selveni nyt.

Tälle vuodelle on luvassa 12 tapahtumaa, mikä on jo ihan mukava määrä. Jospa ensi vuonna tulisi lisäksi jotain pienempiä "Glory Fight Night" välitapahtumia.

Six champions will be crowned by GLORY this year as the leading Kickboxing organization puts World Championship Titles on the line in each weight class.

In previous years, there was a distinction between being champion in a weight class and being a tournament champion. From this year onwards, that distinction is gone. Each division has only one belt and one champion.

“This move towards ‘One Belt, One Champion’ in each weight class will really simplify things for the fans,” says Cor Hemmers, Head of Talent Operations.

There had been some confusion about whether a tournament winner was the champion in his weight class or not.

“Now, World Championship Titles will be contested either in one-off fights, which will be five rounds in duration, or will be on the line in the World Championship Tournaments. Whoever wins a World Title Fight or a World Championship Tournament is the champion in his weight class.”

Champions will put their belt on the line every time they fight.

Being champion will provide automatic entry into their weight-class’ World Championship Tournaments, which carry the largest prize money in kickboxing. But it also means that if the champion loses at any stage of the tournament, he will also have lost his title.

The winners of last year’s World Championship Tournaments - Rico Verhoeven, Tyrone Spong, Joe Schilling, Nieky Holzken, Andy Ristie and Yuta Kubo - will be placed in pole position to contest the GLORY World Championship titles this year.

Arrangements differ depending on the program for each weight class. Some, such as Andy Ristie at GLORY 14 ZAGREB on March 8, will go into a five round World Title Fight. Others, such as Tyrone Spong at GLORY 15 ISTANBUL in April, will take the #1 seeding spot in the Light Heavyweight World Championship Tournament.

With twelve events scheduled for the 2014 season, fans will see a GLORY World Championship Title on the line at each show this year.

Six of the year’s events will feature a five-round World Championship Title fight. The other six shows will feature a World Championship Tournament.

Those six cards, which feature a World Championship Title fight, will also feature a four-man GLORY Contender Tournament.

The main prize in a GLORY Contender Tournament is the #3 seeding spot in the next World Championship Tournament to take place in that weight class.

Competition for World Championship Tournament places is fierce, as they offer prize money and honors unrivalled in the sport, so fans can expect real wars in GLORY Contender Tournament fights.

GLORY 14 ZAGREB is our first event of 2014. It takes place Saturday, March 8 in Zagreb, Croatia.

It features a Lightweight World Championship Title Fight between Andy Ristie (41-3-1, 21 KO’s) and Davit Kiria (21-9, 6 KO’s) plus a four-man GLORY Middleweight Contender Tournament, with the winner earning a place in the Middleweight World Championship Tournament later this year.

Oi! GLORY 14 on jo ensiviikolla. Samaan aikaan lauantaina on UFC myös lontoossa. Kuinkahan päällekkäin nuo menevät kun kyse on kuitenkin melkein samasta aikavyöhykkeestä. :)

Hienoa! Pelästyin jo vähän ku se oli tuola K-1 final 4 eventissä :D Sais vaan nyt sen elämänsä raiteilleen et vois keskittyy ottelemiseen. :/ Vaikuttaakohan tämä Harin tulevaan otteluun Londtia vastaan?

6 päivää GLORY 14:sta
BhuduU0CMAAKIee.jpg

Sahak Parparyan haastelee huomisesta turnauksestaan Glory 14:ssa. Ehkä mielenkiintoisinta on kuitenkin jutut treenaamisesta Mike's Gymillä ja siitä miksi siellä kehittyy. News - Sahak: "We're here to fight not dance around the ring"

The former Its Showtime champion Sahak Parparyan (40-9-5, 19 KO’s) is one of four fighters taking part in the GLORY Middleweight Contender Tournament this Saturday March 8.

Whoever wins the tournament, which forms part of the GLORY 14 ZAGREB main card, will earn themselves a spot in the World Championship Tournament later this year, with the World Middleweight Title on the line.

He faces Jason Wilnis (21-3-1, 6 KO’s) in the semi-finals, with the victor facing the winner of the Alex Pereira (11-1, 8 KO’s) vs. Dustin Jacoby (4-3, 3 KO’s) fight which forms the other semi-final.

“Jason is the most dangerous of the three because he has a lot of heart, he is a real fighter. He likes to fight,” says Parparyan, who already holds a stoppage win over Wilnis.

“We had a fight in 2012 and it was a nice fight - for me anyway, maybe not for him, ha! So I hope this fight goes the same way as that one.

“The other two guys I don’t really know, I only looked at some of their fights. I think Jacoby looks OK, I saw his fight with Danyo Ilunga and he did OK. He fought in the UFC but I don’t think he is the same level as me or Jason as a kickboxer.

“And the same for Pereira. I was supposed to fight him in 2012 for my Its Showtime world title but I couldn’t get the visa for Brazil in time so Wilnis fought him instead, and he beat him up and won by KO.”

Parparyan fights out of Mike’s Gym in Amsterdam. The team’s membership is vast and contains numerous top names, including Badr Hari, Gokhan Saki, Murthel Groenhart, Artur Kyshenko and Melvin Manhoef.

“I came to Mike’s Gym about two and a half years ago, I already knew a lot of the guys who train here. I can say that Mike opened my eyes. Before I came here I was fighting only with my heart and character, punching and kicking, going forward always,” says Parparyan.

“When I came to Mike I saw the technical side of the game - punching from this angle, that angle, moving this way, using this stance. The move was eye-opening. A whole different level. Many people don’t understand how good Mike is.

“A lot of coaches in Holland have like one or two techniques - left, right, low kick, and if you don’t like that, for them you’re not a good fighter. Until I came to Mike’s Gym I didn’t understand how wrong that was.”

Saki and Kyshenko have both said similar things since their own recent moves to Mike’s Gym. Some criticism has been levelled at them though, via claims that coach Mike Passenier makes them focus too much on punches and power, reducing the variety of his fighter’s game.

Parparyan laughs at this. He concedes that fighters from Mike’s Gym go looking for knockouts, but says that does not involve any reduction of technique. The contrary, in fact.

“Who pays to see a fighter only going for points, or running and dancing in the ring? Muhammad Ali could do it but these guys are not Muhammad Ali, you know? Mike’s guys come to fight,” he says.

“But he does change how you punch, angles and small details, and that changes your power. Before him nobody showed me how to open a guy up, how to move for the right hand, how to create opportunities.

“I always wanted to learn this but nobody was telling me until Mike. And it was the same for Gokhan Saki - look at what he did to Daniel Ghita at GLORY 6. He wouldn’t have done that if he wasn’t training here.”

The last time we saw Parparyan in the GLORY ring he was fighting the world #1 middleweight (187lbs/86kgs) Artem Levin. They had a tough fight and in the process, Parparyan suffered a broken orbital and cheekbone.

That happened halfway into the second round - Parparyan fought on for a further two and a half rounds, with the fight going to the judges at the end of the fourth.

“I got the whole right side of my face broken. Totally broken. That was in the second round and we went to the end of the fourth round,” Parparyan shrugs.

“If you watch the video you can see in the second round where I start touching my face, I was looking for blood because I could feel my face was damaged. And then over the rest of the fight it got more and more damaged.

“But I’m recovered now. If I didn’t break my face I think I would have won the fight. First round was mine, second was his, third he got a yellow card because he kept using head butts after the referee warned him.

“It was a close fight and even with my face broken, I went the distance. Levin will be in the World Championship Tournament later this year. First I need to win the Contender Tournament this Saturday, then maybe I’ll meet Levin again.”

Tässä taas Jason ja Jahfarr Wilnis kertovat treenistään Colosseum Gymillä yhdessä Peter Aertsin kanssa. Ihan mielenkiintoisia nämä jutut eri saleista ja siitä miten niillä treenaaminen eroaa toisistaan. News - Brothers in arms: Wilnis duo on Aerts, brotherhood and GLORY 14

Fighters develop a lot of strong bonds on their journey from student to professional. Coaches, team-mates, sparring partners and corner-men come to occupy important places in their lives.

But these relationships are all secondary to the bond which unites Jahfarr and Jason Wilnis. Having grown up in the Dutch midlands city of Utrecht, the two brothers are now side by side in the trenches of professional kickboxing.

The GLORY World Series is the battleground and these two are brothers-in-arms, supporting each other every step of the way.

On Saturday the elder Jahfarr (22-3-1, 5 KO’s) fights a heavyweight battle on the GLORY SUPERFIGHT SERIES section of the card while light-heavyweight Jason (21-3-1, 6 KO’s) fights in the GLORY 14 Middleweight Contender Tournament.

They share a bond of love and friendship - though as head coach Danny de Vries points out, sometimes that love is of the tough variety.

“If you walked into my gym and saw these two sparring, you would never believe they were brothers, no way. You would think they hated each other,” says The Colosseum gym head coach, sitting alongside the brothers in the restaurant of the Hilton Doubletree in Zagreb.

Jahfarr agrees. “At our gym we want to kill each other in the ring. After training we are friends but when we are sparring there is only one goal and that is to win.

“And that includes my brother - if you saw us sparring you would think we hate each other. But I have got so much love for him, its only me doing everything I can to make him better.

“Honestly I think he is the strongest guy at 85kgs, middleweight. I don’t say that because he is my brother, I really mean it.

“I fight at heavyweight and I get hit with 10oz gloves. With him he wears 16oz gloves and I feel it more than I do in my fights. You will see in this tournament what he can do.

Jason, 22, faces Sahak Parparyan (40-9-5, 19 KO’s) in the semi-finals. They fought in 2012 and Parparyan was the victor. Wilnis says things will be different this time.

“I was a different fighter two years ago. If the Jason Wilnis of today was to face the Jason Wilnis of two years ago I would smash him. Things have changed a lot. If I watch fights from back then I think that I didn’t do enough,” he says.

“The main change maybe is mentality - to go for it rather than waiting for the perfect moment. So its not just about looking for those KO shots because as long as I am hitting it I am getting points, the KO comes when it comes.”

Despite being in different weight classes and having a five-year age-gap between them, the Wilnis brothers are of one mind on many things. That includes trash-talk (“We don’t make noise before a fight. We do our talking in the ring.”) and a determination to put their home city on the map.

Dutch kickboxing is famous across the entire martial arts world but the scene has, historically, had an Amsterdam bias. The most venerable gyms - Vos, Chakuriki, Mejiro - are all to be found there, as well as newer powers such as Mike’s Gym.

Utrecht hasn’t previously been a city that international fans of kickboxing will have heard of. The Wilnis brothers are on a mission to change that.

“The gym is our second home and it is very important to us to represent it. We have wins over Amsterdam gyms, Rotterdam gyms. We are showing people that Utrecht has good fighters too,” says Jason.

“For me Utrecht is the best city in the Netherlands. I know Amsterdam and Rotterdam but Utrecht is the city for me. Its home, I grew up there, learned everything there, became who I am. I want to live and die in Utrecht, there’s nowhere else I want to be.”

De Vries is on the same mission; the Wilnis brothers are his soldiers. “When we opened our gym, these two were there from day one. When they first arrived they were training in soccer kit, now we have brought them to the GLORY level.

“And we’ve had fighters like Peter Aerts join up to do his training there. We are putting Utrecht on the map.”

Aerts’ addition to The Colosseum line-up came after the decorated veteran saw the brothers fighting on a show in Holland one weekend and was impressed with their conditioning.

“I come from another world, the military world and special forces. I have a different view of fitness to most guys. So Peter had seen our guys and was impressed with their fitness,” explains De Vries.

“He heard about how hard the training is at our gym, he wanted to try some training with us. He came down - he lives over an hour away - and he did one session.

“Afterwards he said, ‘What do you think, am I fit?’ I said, ‘By some standards maybe but in my opinion you’re not fit at all.’

“So then later, as he was driving home, he called me and asked if he could come back tomorrow. So from there we developed a friendship.

“And of course, I do not need to teach Peter Aerts anything about kickboxing. There is nothing for me to correct or to show him. My job is to make him fit and make him sharp, physically and mentally.”

Having Aerts in the gym has been a huge boost for the Wilnis brothers. At first they couldn’t believe that one of their fighting icons was now training with the, but it wasn’t long before they gelled. His expertise has proven invaluable to them as their own careers develop.

“I always looked up to Peter. When I was a little boy I saw him win the K-1 and now I train with him. And he is such a nice guy,” says Jason.

“When we train together we train technical, I like him and respect him a lot, I don’t want to go heavy with him.”

For Jahfarr it’s a little different. He went the same route but Aerts, a fellow heavyweight , wanted more pressure.

“When I first trained with him I was going very light and he said "hey, what are you doing? Come on man, put it on me,’” he laughs.

“He has been fighting for 29 years at the world level - I am 28 years old. He knows everything there is to know. He has helped us a lot, with training and tactics and plans. And he is a real gentleman, he is good for the sport. An ambassador.”

The brothers laugh simultaneously as memories of training with Aerts surface in their mind; apart from being a top fighter he is also a keen joker. The team say not one day has passed without Aerts creating laughter before and after training.

It will be all business on Saturday though. The brothers have a job to do and they get tense before each other’s fights.

“We get emotional when one of us is fighting. So if I see him take a shot or his hands are down I feel nervous for him. My heart starts to jump. I feel more nervous for his fights than for my own fights,” says Jason.

“When I’m fighting I know what I must do and I can do it. But when Jason is fighting it is out of my hands and I can only believe in him and know he is going to do the right thing. But there is more pain for me when he is fighting than when I am fighting,” says Jahfarr.

“Because he is my brother but also my best friend. When you are younger you have a lot of friends but when you really come down to it, people let you down.

“But with my brother, I know what I have. I can call him in the middle of the night and in five minutes he is at the door. Family is blood; it is truth.”

Joo niin näyttäs. tulevaisuudessa eventeistä sit näkyy varmaan taas Gloryn omilta sivuilta tuon Supa Fait Seriiiiiin, toivottavasti jo ensi eventissä. Undercardin näkee tietenkin aina vain paikallaolijat luultavasti. On vain 2-3 ottelua niissä.

Eli ei tässä muu auta kun katella UFC loppuun ja vaihtaa spike tv:n streamiin.. :)

FirstRow ilmoittaa UFC:n pääkortin alkavan kymmeneltä ja Gloryn alkavan yhdeltätoista, joten jossain määrin menevät päällekkäin.

semifinaalit missaa mw contender turnauksesta ainakin, ehkä Ristie vs Kiria ottelun myös.. ja se on viel LW mestaruudesta. :/ Varmaan just kerkee kattoo MW finaalin ja Remy vs Mirko.

Back
Ylös Bottom