Moving North of the Vag - Jim Wendler

Tässä Wendlerin filosofiaa treenaamiseen ja oikeastaan elämään ylipäätään. Omasta mielestäni ansaitsee oman ketjunsa vaikka tuo 5/3/1 ketju jo löytyykin. T

I can’t take credit for this name. I wish I could, but both the idea and the name come from my good friend Jim Messer. Jim and I have been friends since junior high, and we have the kind of friendship that doesn’t require us to talk every week. Or even every year. This is more of an idea. A concept, if you will.

Jim started training with the 5/3/1 method without my knowing it, and he’s had great success. He emailed me and let me know about this. Here’s part of an email he wrote to me:
I feel compelled to tell you that after a few months of using the now-legendary 5/3/1, I have now moved somewhat north of being an utter vag. I f**ked my body up pretty badly last winter, stopped all physical activity, and thought that was pretty much gonna be it. Just another skinny f**king wimp. It’s been a really long time since I’ve felt this good physically. By God, last week I puked in my mouth and almost blacked out squatting. I’d thought that time in my life was over.

After I stopped laughing, I began thinking about his statement and about how many people seem to be moving and staying well south of vag. To quote Black Sabbath, this is a symptom of the universe. Then I started to contemplate how one stays in the Northern Hemisphere of the Holy Holes. What followed was the training template I’ll show you now. It’s very simple to follow:

1. Warm-up: foam rolling, static stretching and jumping rope (or something similar).

2. Lift Weights: 5/3/1; keep it basic and strong.

3. Condition: Run hills, push Prowler.

That’s it. Do this 3-4 times a week and you won’t fall into the trap of being normal. You’ll be strong, healthy and in shape. You won’t make New Year’s resolutions because you’ll be living it every day. You can eat that final piece of pie and not count carbs because you just ran 20 hill sprints for the third time this week. You can wake up and not feel like **** because you’ve actually taken the time to foam roll and stretch. You actually have some traps from deadlifting. You don’t fall for fitness trends, because you know what works. You stop caring what people say on the internet, because you’re always making progress. You’re always moving forward toward something.

People ask you how to train, and you answer, “I look at what you do, and then I do the exact opposite.”

You’ll actually be able to move because your feet will be fast from jumping rope. You won’t be out of breath all the time. You’ll be able to take on any physical activity you want. You’ll be different once you’ve spent time straining to get a rep PR in the squat or pushed a Prowler for 40 minutes. Dealing with the idiots at work or your boss will no longer be an issue. It’s hard to bring a man down after he’s had three weeks of personal records in the gym. It’s hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after you’ve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it. Who cares about all that meaningless stuff? When your training and your life are moving forward, you certainly won’t.

It doesn’t take a lot to do this. You already give 8-10 hours a day to your boss and to your work. To boredom and to people and organizations that couldn’t care less about you. Then your family and friends get the rest of your time.

What about you? Do you really think so little of yourself that you can’t sacrifice an hour or two, 3-4 days a week, for yourself? This “me” time isn’t spent shopping, watching TV or getting on the internet. You’re spending it reinvesting in your body, building strength, and building character. Kicking ass and training consistently – and with some balance – will do wonders for both your body and your mind.

Get rid of all the meaningless crap in your life and your training. Get rid of the things that bleed your energy in the weight room and in life. What’s better for you? The Prowler or a stroll on the treadmill? What do you think is going to make you better?

Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit.

This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me, too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back.
Itse tällaiseen settiin pyrkineenä täytyy sanoa, että pirun kunnioitettavaa minun mielestä suoriutua kaikesta tästä ja ylläpitää normaalia elämää. Aerobisten ajoittaminen itsellä on kaikista hankalinta ja kuntokin vielä niin heikko, että ihan perus lenkkeily saa kelvata. Multa löytyy jo tuo NOV t-paitakin, fanaatikko mikä fanaatikko. :D

Toi Wendlerin quote tulis olla jokaisen kuntosalin seinällä treenaajien pällisteltävänä. Vois "salilla käynti" hyvin nopeasti muuttua kunnolliseen treeniin ja tulosten räjähtävään kasvuun.

Muutenkin Jimin tyyli puhua/kirjoittaa on osuvien pointtien lisäksi huumoripitoinen sekä mukavan simppeli. Ei tää oo mitään rakettitiedettä. Tykkään!

Wendler on mun omalla valmentajien TOP5-listalla treeniasioihin liittyen.

En tiedä mikä tuo vag on, mutta heräsi kyllä erinäisiä mielikuvia. Suomennettuna tuon teoksen nimi voisi olla vaikka "Pillusta pohjoiseen"

Ikä
En tiedä mikä tuo vag on, mutta heräsi kyllä erinäisiä mielikuvia. Suomennettuna tuon teoksen nimi voisi olla vaikka "Pillusta pohjoiseen"
Vapaasti käännettynähän tuo onkin "pillusta pohjoiseen"... Vag kun on "lyhennös" sanasta vagina :)

Wendler on kyllä aina ytimessä! Helvetti kun olisi enemmän tällasia heppuja niin sadatuhannet (minä mukaan lukien) ei olisi rinkirunkannu vuosia ja hyppiny ohjelmista toiseen. En ite vedä Wendlerillä, mutta pää pointti on tämä

What is your top tip for general fitness?

“When in doubt, squat and run hills.” This statement is obviously not just about squatting and running hills. Rather it means that when you feel saturated with information overload in the fitness world, the basics always work the best. There is a ton of information and misinformation out there and it is being spread at an enormous rate. It is impossible for a young lifter to separate the wheat from the chaff. When this happens, it is best to take a step back and look at the things/exercises/principles that have stood the test of time and have been used by the people that have gone before (and succeeded)."
http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/03/interview-stroking-my-big-veiny-ego/

Nää kaikki on must luettavaa!

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/03/losing-weight-and-getting-stronger/

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/a_letter_to_my_younger_self

Sieltä esim. simppeli mutta 100% toimiva ohjelma ihmisille joilla muutakin kuin puntti (100% toimiva on sellanen mitä TEKEE)

Now during the football season, I want you to cut your training down to two days/week. You can continue to train three days/week during basketball and track season but let's recover a bit during football. The in-season training will now look like this:

Monday
Squat
Bench Press
Assistance work

Wednesday
Deadlift
Press
Assistance work

For assistance work, I recommend doing back extensions, sit-ups, chin-ups, and dips. If you have time and energy for more, go ahead and do whatever you want. Don't think that training only two days/week is too little. You're running seven days/week and wear pads/hit four days a week. This is very stressful on the body and you'll be surprised how strong you'll get when you train smart and train with purpose.
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/10/darkthrone-or-metallica-which-training-are-you/

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/time-to-man-up/

Pitää tilata tuo Wendler paita

– Inspired by the forward thinking of Garm and the roots of real strength training, this shirt sums up the frustration of the fitness industry to the emasculation of every man that walks this earth. Don’t be fooled by the smoke screens of popular media and celebrity trainers. Get on board the train the smashes barriers and never slows; discover the truth amongst the jackals.

Tämä unohtu. Ittelleni todellinen pään avaaja. Tai ei avaaja. Se on paremminkin niin miten Bill Hicks sanoi "Sometimes people need their voice of reason confirmed"

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/10/the-last-word-on-assistance-lifts-i-wish/

The choice of assistance lift pales in importance to the proper execution and loading of the key lifts. Too many younger lifters major in the minors, and they’re called assistance lifts for a reason.
Siksihän painottaa sitä, että tekee sen mitä tarvii. Minustakin on niin, että ei niillä pidä itteään tukottaa, vaan vahvistaa heikkoja kohtia. Se on vähän kuin Martin Rooney sanoo, että treenin pitää rakentua levon ympärille, eikä toisinpäin.

Kyllähän tuossa on kiteytettynä se naturaalin tie hyviin tuloksiin. Turha hifistely syö yleensä vain energiaa ja aikaa. Ja kun homma on helppoa sitä jaksaa tehdä vuosi kaupalla, jolloin ne kovat tulokset tulevat lopulta.

– Inspired by the forward thinking of Garm and the roots of real strength training, this shirt sums up the frustration of the fitness industry to the emasculation of every man that walks this earth. Don’t be fooled by the smoke screens of popular media and celebrity trainers. Get on board the train the smashes barriers and never slows; discover the truth amongst the jackals.
fanittaakos tuo mies Ulveria, kun Garm mainitaan tuossa ja Garmilla on tuon paidan selkäteksti tatuointina kädessä? Jos fanittaa niin hyvä musiikkimaku, ei mulla muuta :)

Lukasin yhden noista Rauhan postaamista linkeistä, jonka jälkeen toisen, jonka jälkeen kaikki. Hienoja juttuja hienolta äijältä.

Hyvin markkinoitu tuote,ja sinänsä tuotteen "filosofiassa" ei ole mitään vikaa ja onkin ihan hyvä rehellisyydessään. Ei väitä keksineensä jotain uutta ja paljon tehokkaampaa juttua. Nosta perusliikkeitä, nosta enemmän, tee airobista ja elä ihmisiksi. 100% toimivaa peruskuntoilua kaiken kikkailun ja giant settien keskellä. Tarkoitus opastaa parikymppisiä teinejä ja aloittelijoita jotka eivät vielä ymmärrä miten omaa harjoittelua säädellään ja kaipaavat näitä sarja/toistokaavoja.

Oranki

The Pink Chocobo
Wendlerillä on kyllä asiallisia juttuja. Ainoa kritiikin kohde on tossa 5/3/1 systeemissä, että ainakaan mulla ei yks penkkitreeni viikossa riitä yhtään mihinkään ja se pystäri ei todellakaan korvaa sitä.

Wendlerillä on kyllä asiallisia juttuja. Ainoa kritiikin kohde on tossa 5/3/1 systeemissä, että ainakaan mulla ei yks penkkitreeni viikossa riitä yhtään mihinkään ja se pystäri ei todellakaan korvaa sitä.
Tekee toisena päivänä penkin apuliikkeenä, jos kerta ei riitä.

Hieno mies on kyseessä. Itse kritisoisin juurikin tätä NOV-ajattelua. Itse olen aina pyrkinyt pitämään liikkeeni enemmänkin vaginan suuntaisena :pano: :D

Oranki

The Pink Chocobo
Hieno mies on kyseessä. Itse kritisoisin juurikin tätä NOV-ajattelua. Itse olen aina pyrkinyt pitämään liikkeeni enemmänkin vaginan suuntaisena :pano: :D
Mut jos menee vaginasta pohjoiseen niin eiks sit saa suikkareita?:)

Pakkislainen saa lasin vettä (baarissa siideriä) kasvoille

Taas peruasioiden kertaamista. Loistavaa!!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/effective_training_for_busy_men_1

Training is one of our priorities – you wouldn't be reading T Nation or this article if you were just a weekend warrior or into "fitness." You're into training, and training is not "exercise."

In Starting Strength, Mark Rippetoe defines training as a "physical activity done with a longer-term goal in mind, the constituent workouts of which are specifically designed to achieve that goal." We aren't "exercisers" or "fitness hipsters." Our training each day has purpose and meaning towards a bigger and more defined picture.

We don't randomly select things and strive "for a good sweat" or try to fit square exercises into round goals. We train. And those who train and are getting a bit older have a myriad of responsibilities. We have to prioritize our training around much of our life so that we can achieve those long-term training goals.

Life doesn't just throw us curveballs – it throws Niekro-scuffed knuckleballs with a bit of Gaylord Perry lube, and we all know where those are going to land. But if you plan your training accordingly, those incidents won't harm your training goals or your life outside the gym.

That's the key – the balance between maintaining a cutthroat attitude towards your training goals and your life. You plan. You execute.